Featured / Photo essays / Union

In pictures: Philadelphia Union 3-3 Deportivo Saprissa (Union agg. 6-5)

On Tuesday, Feb. 27 the Philadelphia Union hosted the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup against Deportiva Saprissa. The game was a battle from the beginning with aggressive attacking on both sides of the ball. A PK was awarded to Deportivo Saprissa in the 14th minute. Luis Paradela took the penalty and put Sasprissa on the board first. The Union answered with a goal from Julián Carranza in the 17th minute followed by another in the 27th minute by Quinn Sullivan. With Julian Carranza’s goal, he became the Union’s all time goal scorer for the Champions Cup (6).

At the half, a substatution was made, bringing in Alejandro Bedoya in place of Markus Anderson. The game was tied 2-2 until the 62nd minute when a free kick was awarded to Deportiva Saspirssa. The free kick was taken by Mariano Torres who scored and celebrated with Deportivo Saprissa supporters who made up roughly half the crowd at Subaru Park. While Olivier Mbaizo was booked in the first half, the second half brought an additional 4 yellow cards and a direct red card to Jack Elliott. Mikael Uhre leveled the score in the opening minutes of extra time and after 30 minutes of additional play, the Union held onto the advantage on aggregate and advanced to the next round.


Deportivo Saprissa fans show support for their team from the corner of the stadium.

The Union starting 11 stop for a team photo before the start of the game.

In his first game with the Union, Markus Anderson powers through the defending of Pablo Arboine.

Luis Díaz loses the battle against a physical Jack McGlynn in the corner

Quinn Sullivan slide tackle Pablo Arboine early in the first half of the game.

Oliver Semmle misses the save on a free kick from Mariano Torres

Julián Carranza points to the family balcony to celebrate his goal.

The team celebrates Quinn Sullivan’s goal in the first half bringing the score to 2-1 in the 26th minute.

Jack McGlynn pulls on Mariano Torres’ jersey while battle for the working to win the ball.

Oliver Semmle makes a great save after coming out to stop Javon East from scoring.

Oliver Semmle gets his hand on the ball after stopping Javon East’s attempt.

Oliver Semmle checks the placement of his wall composed of Glesnes and Elliott.

Javon East celebrates a penalty kick with Sasprissa fans in the stadium.

José Martínez reacts to being hit in the face by Luis Paradela.

José Martínez confronts Luis Paradela after being elbowed in the mouth during the game.

Under pressure from Pablo Arboine, Chris Donovan takes the shot on goal.

Jakob Glenses wins the header from Jack McGlynn’s corner kick.

Jack Elliott receives questionable red card for a tackle on Sasprissa player.

Damion Lowe took the field after Jack Elliott’s red card and fires up the crowd during extra time.

Alejandro Bedoya supports his team by clearing the ball after being subbed in at halftime.

Kai Wagner, José Martínez and Pablo Arboine all go up for a header near the top of the box.

Kai Wagner clears the ball under pressure from Gerald Taylor.

Oliver Semmle makes a save to keep the score 3-2.

Mikael Uhre starts his run down field with Kendall Waston close behind.

José Martínez wins the battle against Jefry Valverde to keep the ball during the second half.


José Martínez takes time to talk with friends and family after the game.

The Union will start their Round of 16 play on Tuesday, March 5th at Subaru Park where they will take on Liga MX side C.F. Pachuca.

One Comment

  1. Great pics! Thanks! Wish I had gone to this game.

    El Brujo’s stare-down is awesome!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *