Photo essays

In pictures: Philadelphia Union 1-1 Los Angeles FC

On another damp night at Subaru Park, the Philadelphia Union hosted LAFC for the first leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League semi-final match. The atmosphere was full of emotion, both on and off the field, where both players and fans were looking for redemption.

The game itself felt like a ping-pong match at times with the ball being turned over and sent downfield just when a team was close to having a chance at a goal. The crowd was lively and loud, booing John McCarthy each time he touched the ball. On the other side, Andre Blake made 2 incredible saves and chants of “MVP” and “Andre Blake” erupted.

Daniel Gazdag was awarded a PK due to hand ball by Kellyn Acosta in the box in the 84th minute. The Union went up 1-0 over LAFC after Gazdag finished the spot kick, and fans could feel the sigh of relief – just a few months after slipping and missing his penalty in the MLS Cup Final.

Just like in that match though, LAFC came back in the 91st minute to score the equalizer.

Players and fans all had the same reaction: “Why is the happening again?!” Jim Curtin left the field in deep thought and possibly a little shocked that once again the Union were so close to winning the game and a mistake cost them the result in extra time.


The TIFO revealed in the River End at the beginning of the game.


Andre Blake; Kai Wagner, Jakob Glesnes, Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo, Jack McGlynn, Jose Martinez, Alejandro Bedoya, Mikael Uhre, Daniel Gazdag, Julian Carranza.


Mikeal Uhre realizes the missed chance for a shot on goal as John McCarthy makes another save.


Players react to a collision between Mikeal Uhre and Jesús Murillo.


Jesús Murillo and Ryan Hollingshead work to stop Mikeal Uhre. He reads the defensive play and comes around them to take a shot on goal.


Olivier Mbaizo and Dénis Bouanga battle for the ball in the corner.


Mikeal Uhre takes a shot but John McCarthy was able to make the save.


José Martínez makes an aggressive slide tackle against Dénis Bouanga.


Alejandro Bedoya gets the cross off before Diego Palacios can make the block.


Julián Carranza loses the ball to a slide tackle by Jesús Murillo.


Olivier Mbaizo has words with Diego Palacios after Carlos Vela was taken down.


Mikeal Uhre heads the ball under pressure from José Cifuentes and Aaron Long, towards the goal on a corner kick.


After both going for a header, Kai Wagner gets cleaned out by Ryan Hollingshead.


As the Union’s training staff tends to Kai Wagner, John McCarthy and Cesar Ramos chat and first bump.


A yellow card is issued to José Martínez for dissent after yelling at Cesar Ramos for not issuing a foul.


Jack McGlynn and John McCarthy share words while Cesar Ramos checks the VAR for a handball against LAFC.


Daniel Gazdag celebrates with the River End after scoring his PK, putting the Union up 1-0 over LAFC.


Jack McGlynn takes a shot under pressure by Timothy Tillman.


Andre Blake makes a save diving across the net.


Under pressure from Jesús Murillo, Mikeal Uhre heads the ball and tries to settle it towards goal.


Jim Curtin leaves the field in deep thought after LAFC scores in extra time to tie the game, 1-1.

The Union head to LA for the second-leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League semi-final match on May 2, 2023 at 10:00pm eastern time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *