Photo essays

In pictures: Philadelphia Union 4-1 Chicago Fire FC

All photos credit Howie Pollard

PSP photographer Howie Pollard was on the sidelines this weekend as the Philadelphia Union got back on track with a solid 4-1 victory over the visiting Chicago Fire.

On an evening with a cool breeze off the river that hinted of fall, the Union heated up the crowd early with a goal in the sixteenth minute from Daniel Gadzag, and never looked back as they continue their march towards the playoffs.

With goals from Jack Elliott, Julian Carranza, and Cory Burke to round out the scoring, there was plenty of smiles and moments to reflect on. Her are a few from my view.

Phang awaits delivery of the game ball as it arrives via air mail.

All smiles after a beautifully executed landing at midfield.

I touching entrance as the stars of tomorrow join the team on the field for the pre game festivities.

Players both young and old join for our National Anthem.

No lack of excitement or creativity at the park on Saturday night.

Mikael Uhre looks for a call in the opening minutes after a take down at mid field.

Defense was stout all night as the fire had a hard time finding any passing lanes near the goal.

Mikeal Uhre sets up for a blast in the moments leading up to the opnening goal by Gadzag.

Jack Elliot races back to cut off the header and end the threat.

Andre Blake was in top form making multiple saves in the first half.

Glesnes and Mbaizo had control of midfield.

Olivier Mbaizo left defenders in the dust and got a rise out of the crowd with a display of his foot skills.

Former teammates battle for the header as Przybylko gets a little more air than Jakob Glesnes this time.

Blake used his strong hands and athletic frame to quickly thwart any scoring opportunities the Fire managed in the first half.

A dangerous cross near the end of the first half couldn’t find another white jersey keeping Chicago down by one goal.

After a lucky assist from the cross bar, Jack Elliot put the Union ahead 2-0 and the frustration from the Fire was evident.

Union fans of all ages were delighted with the second goal of the half.

Down 2-0, Chicago kept the pressure on, but Blake and the defense were up to the task.

Mikael Uhre’s run was just enough to get a shot on goal that would lead tho the eventual Carranza follow.

Julian Carranza taps a floater over the fallen keeper and drops it softly in the net to give the Union a 3-1 lead.

Carranza celebrates his goal with an ovation for his strong effort.

McGlynn and Carranza give a wave to the crowd as they have a little mobreathing room with a 2 goal lead.

Not satisfied with a 2 goal lead, the Union continue to put pressure on the Fire defense.

Alejandro Bedoya fields the volley off the corner and tries to set up a fourth goal.

Alejandro Bdoya tries to sneak a shot through and get in on the scoring.

Mikael Uhre sets up to launch another shot on goal.

AS frustration builds so do tempers as a yellow card is issued in the 70th minute.

Glesnes fields the service from Wagner but is not able to get his foot on it and directed towards the goal.

Another Glesne opportunity that was nicely defended by the Fire’s Slonina.

Corey Burke adds the 4th and final goal of the evening in the 82nd minute after coming into the game in the 72nd minute.

Moments after scoring the games 4th goal, Burke is all smiles after receiving the yellow Card.

Kai Wagner was still flying high as the game entered into stoppage time.

Julian Carranza made his rounds after the game and delighted fans with autographs, pictures, and even gave his jersey to one young fan.

Carranza kept the fans smiling and left a youthful fanbase hungry for more.

For More Photos, check out Howie’s Facebook Page MSG Photography and feel free to leave comments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: