High School Soccer

District 12 boys high school soccer: The 2014 quarterfinals

Photo: Central Coach and PSP columnist Josh Trott talks to Central seniors. Photo courtesy of Kyla Brown. 

Public League Quarterfinals

In Public League play on Tuesday, Oct. 21, two undefeated teams faced each other when B Division team Furness played first place A Division team Northeast. The game was close with Furness forcing saves from NE and banging one off the woodwork, but seventy minutes into the game, Northeast’s Abraham Karama broke the tie, and scored the game’s lone goal. For Furness, the close result against the top ranked A Division team indicates a good season next year.

Second place A Division team Washington had a more comfortable win against Ben Franklin, the second place team out of the B Division. Washington scored five in the first half. Ben Franklin won the second half, scoring two to Washington’s one, but likely Washington rested some players for the semifinal.

Sixth place Olney played third place Fels. Fels had won the regular season contest but Olney worked hard and secured the win, 4-3. Hernando Villamil may stand only five feet six inches tall, but he was a giant for Olney, supplying two assists and a goal to help the underdog onto a win.

Fourth place Central gave up the first goal to fifth place PACHS on a penalty that Chris Schlegel buried. Central responded quickly when Abdul Sule set up Vilajet Kovaci’s tap-in goal to tie the game. After that, neither team could break the deadlock. Vincent Roscioli, in goal for the Lancers, got his fingertips to a Chris Schlegel shot, pushing it onto the crossbar, and the game moved into overtime. Central was finding chance after chance. Jason Pixley headed a corner toward goal. Dylan Prendergast, the PACHS goalkeeper palmed the shot away, but only as far as Central’s Garneel Azor, who backheeled the ball into the goal for the sudden death win.

The Public League semifinals take place on Thursday, Oct. 23. At 3 pm, Washington plays Olney, and at 5 pm Northeast takes on Central.

Catholic League Quarterfinals

The Philadelphia Catholic League played also its quarterfinals on Tuesday.

Roman trounced close rival and fourth place finisher Lansdale 3-0. The result give confidence to the Cahillites as they march into the semifinals. Jeff McDevitt wrote up the result here. Mike Bermall has a piece with plenty of quotes.

The closest result of the day came when third place finisher Archbishop Wood played St. Joe’s. In the regular season St. Joe’s won a narrow game, 2-1. The teams fought hard, end-to-end, with Wood striking first before St. Joe’s leveled on a free kick. The teams went into halftime 1-1, but Wood would have the last word, when the official whistled a handball in St. Joe’s box. McDonald buried it. Ryan Helmsley talks through the result with the Inquirer’s Kate Harmon.

First place La Salle sailed past ninth place Bonner with a 4-1 win. Tyler Colasanto had two goals and an assist for La Salle, while Clint Ornsby contributed three saves.

Father Judge and Carroll fought hard through the first half, with Judge up 1-0 at the whistle. The second half was a wild affair with Judge scoring five to Carroll’s two, for a final score of 6-2. Judge’s Kevin Ceno tallied twice for the Crusaders.

The Catholic League semifinals will be played at Archbishop Ryan on Saturday, Oct. 25, with LaSalle facing Roman at 2 pm and Judge playing Wood at 4 pm.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *